Monday, September 1, 2014

FLINT RIDGE STATE PARK

On Friday, August 29th, Annie and I drove to Flint Ridge State Park, about an hours drive towards Columbus to attend a "knapp-in" and to see if someone could identify a rock I had brought back from Utah that looked like flint.  We got there early morning and got a place in the shade to park, so I left Annie in the car while I went to the museum to look around.  Got some stuff there, including flint chips from a farm across the road from the Park, then took Annie and wandered around watching people work (or knapp) the flint into projectile points.  It's not as easy as you might think it is, and every knapper has old and new cuts on their hands - some even wrap their fingers in tape before they start working the stone.  Annie and I also took a couple of hikes in the park - past pits (now filled in with dirt and leaves) where the Native Americans quarried their stone.  There was a German lady and her husband selling home made ice cream, so on a hot day, I was going to get a dish of vanilla (I really like chocolate) for Annie and I to share, but the lady asked if Annie could have some and gave her a small dish of her own at no charge - so naturally - I got chocolate for myself.  It was some of the best ice cream I have ever had.  I also found out from a geologist that the rock I got in Utah was blood Jasper which can also be knapped or made jewelry out of.


One of the pits from eons ago - now filled in with water

Knappers

Kind of an overview of the Knapp-In

A closer look at finishing a point

More mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment