Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 11 posted on Day 12






























 
 

Once again, the internet in Yellowstone refused to allow me to post, so here I am, in the Comfort Inn, Salt Lake City, with an excellent internet connection finally - free to boot - so I can post with abandon.  I was asked if I got a picture of the blue moon, and since it was so rainy when the moon was actually full, these pictures are the only ones that I got.  I also had a complaint that I did not post enough pictures - so Chief, I posted a whole lot more pictures on this blog for you.....  These pictures are of the Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces.  I was there when the sun was coming up, and the tourists were mainly still asleep, or at least not where I was.  On one of the trails, I noticed a Killdeer wading in the water, and pecking after things.  I don't know what it was eating, but I did notice that there were bugs on the surface of some of the water, so I assume it was eating those.  I how he/she is able to stand the alkaline water on its feet without having the feet damaged by the water.  I also noticed that one visitor that appeared bent down, put his finger in the water that was accessable from a low walkway, and put his finger in his mouth......dumb or what?  I wandered around somemore, and Gary, I never did find that trail you were talking about at Orange Mound.  I parked where you told me to, and walked back down the way I had driven in, but did not see a trail.  Maybe I should have walked the other way, down the hill on the way out...but anyway, took a game trail across from the Mound, and shot some chipmunks and flowers,  and watched a chipmunk drinking some of the water coming out of the Mound, so it wasn't a total waste.  I went back to the hotel and had "breakfast" and then did a walking tour of Fort Yellowstone.  I stopped at the Visitor Center and asked about the Yellowstone Fire Department, and was told that it was in the Fort Yellowstone area, but no one was there...they were all out fighting fires.  On my walk I noticed the elk tracks in the cement sidewalk...I guess they don't understand that they need to stay off wet cement, and to top it off, one of them had left an extra-special calling card next to the prints.   A bit further on my walk I noticed where the Fire Department was, and that there was a door open...well open doors are an invitation for me to explore, so I did, and was able to trade one of our FD patches for one of the Yellowstone FD ones.....one more patch to go...will call my contact in Salt Lake City tomorrow to find out how to get one of theirs.   I took a picture of Mammoth Hot Springs (the town) from up on top of the Terraces, then took some more of the front of the hotel, and the Grill where I got most of my food.  I was hoping that the elk would be next to the hotel again, or in the town square, but that was not to be; however, sitting on the porch of my cabin, one did walk right through the common area between the cabins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment