Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 13 - Antelope Island






























 
 
This will most likely be my last post until I get home.  Spent most of the day on Antelope Island, and what a magical place that is.  It was very hazy, so the views were not that spectacular into the distance, but there was a lot of activity on the causeway because of birds migrating this time of year.  I didn't bring my bird book, but there were California Gulls, Laughing Gulls, Black Backed Stilts, and other shore birds that I should know what they were, but didn't.  There were hundreds of them.  I know there were some Grebes, and I think some Shovelers.  This was a time that I wished that I had a 600mm lens.  I took as many shots with my 300mm lens and then blew up some of them....they are not spot on, but not too bad, and can be used for identification.  After taking about 45 minutes to get across the causeway because of stopping and photographing as much as I could, I headed to the Visitor Center where I saw this fiberglass Bison in the parking lot.  The cutouts on the Bison are in the shape of a Bison, and decided to have some fun by taking a picture using the cutout Bison shape as a frame for the shot.  I drove around the island and saw Antelope, Bison (of course), a Great Horned Owl, rabbit, and coyote.  I spent quite a bit of time at the Ranch at the end of the Island, which is where I saw the Great Horned Owl.  I asked about the Bison on the Island because they are everywhere, and was told that 16 had been brought by ferry before the causeway had been built, and all the Bison on the island are descended from those 16, so the herd is genetically pure, inbred, but pure.  Headed off the island around 5:30 p.m. and headed back to the hotel for supper.  Then checked e-mails, downloaded the pictures from the camera, and am putting togethe the blog.  Tomorrow I need to be at the main Fire Department building in downtown Salt Lake City at 9:00 to meet with Mr. Herrmann to get the patch, then want to go to Temple Square to see what that is all about, and head back to the hotel to top off the gas tank, and get everything packed for Friday morning. 
This has been a good trip, lots to see, lots to do, and I think I have accomplished most everthing I set out to do.  I would have liked to have seen more wildlife, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  Thank you all for being on this journey with me, it's been fun to have you all along.
 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, M.E., I call this your bird blog day! What you thought were stilts (they have red legs) were avocets in winter plumage (white legs and slightly upturned bills). I would have been going crazy. :o). What a great place to visit for your last full day.
    It's been a great trip to get to experience with you. Thank you for all the effort to let us on your journey!
    Love you, V
    Wishing you a safe journey home. Annie will be ecstatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. I absolutely love Antelope Island. That owl is a regular. We see him almost every time. Usually behind the house. I want to see the Island in the snow. Salt Lake City is great. A good "Walking" City , not so much driving. Not real car friendly. A good place for dinner downtown is the restaurant inside the Little Inns Of America Hotel. This is where we stay when we go out there. Great food,atmosphere and service. Have fun. I have really enjoyed your blog. As for the Animals, you have to make the best out of what is given. I don't know how many times I have started out to shoot one thing and ended up going an entriely different direction because what I wanted wasn't there. You have some good shots to remember this trip. Next time try early spring or late Autumn when the Yellowstone animals are down low. Most of the animals are just now starting to come down from the high country. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete