Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 12 - Back to Salt Lake City











 
 
 


This was the day I left Yellowstone behind.  I travelled from Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris, then on to Madison and left the Park at West Yellowstone.  Along the way, I stopped on the road out of Mammoth to document the road that was built like a bridge around the side of the mountain...really neat the way the engineers did this.  In the olden days, this was a wooden road that wagons travelled down.  Further into my journey out of the park there was frost in a meadow with steaming water running through it.  It has been cold in the mornings (and nights) in Yellowstone, and that makes for a "perfect storm" for ice crystals.  I was fortunate to have the sun low enough to have the frost still on the vegetation, and took full advantage of that fact.  Further on I spied a fisherman in a stream with a hot vent not far away from him, and couldn't resist stopping to get that unusual sight documented.  One last waterfall, Gibbon Falls on the Gibbon River, and out of the Park I went.  The rest of the day was spent driving from West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City, with a quick stop at Hell's Half Acre, a lava bed on both sides of Interstate 15 just south of Idaho Falls, where I took a 3/4 mile hike around the site.  I wasn't sure where I was staying tonight, but decided that I wanted to be close to the airport, so drove down I-15 to I-80 West, and got off at an exit that had signs for several different hotel/motel chains.  I settled on Comfort Inn Conference Center, and got the last room available.  They have a full hot breakfast every morning, and you have to key yourself in at every entrance, and I have to key myself to my floor on the elevator (my floor is the only one that you do that with).....so I feel very safe and secure.  There is a restaurant/bar in the hotel, an exercise room (no need for that after all the hiking) and a small pool outside if people have a bathing suit.  Don't know what I am going to do tomorrow, but I know that it will entail wearing shorts again....it is HOT in SLC.  Have several items on my agenda, not the least of which is finding a Post Office and calling the SLC Fire Department to make arrangements for the patch trade.  SLC is not an easy city to get around in, but I will figure out a way to make things happen.

2 comments:

  1. You got some great shots. Sorry you could not find the trail at Orange Mound. It is hard to find. that's why it is a cool spot with no people. My wife actually found it for me while she was exploring. That bridge is called "Golden Gate" and is pretty exciting when it is snowing. especially when the wind is blowing the water from the small waterfall across the road making a little ice. I love the Hoodoo area just past the bridge. If you get this in time try and see Antelope Island. Probably too late in your trip. The Fielding Garr Ranch on the Island is beautiful. I have really enjoyed your blog. some really cool photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have 2 days in SLC, and plan to head up to Antelope Island today, and do some other things tomorrow before I fly out. The traffic around SLC is horrible and there is no sign going north on I-15 to let you know when to turn for Antelope; however, there is a sign coming south, and that one directs you to Antelope Drive or Street or something, so can take that exit when I go north. I am right off of I-80W at the airport, so should not be a major problem getting to and from AI. As for not seeing a whole lot of wildlife, that just gives me a excuse to go back and sit and watch. Hopefully the next time I do go back, it will be with my camper, and I can pick the best time of the year to view wildlife, rather than having to go at a certain time and taking what I get. Glad you enjoyed my blog. I enjoyed putting it together. Safe travels.

      Delete