Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 7 - Geysers and More Geysers


















It was 31 degrees this morning, and a great day to catch the geysers misting away.  The day was partly cloudy, and eventually got quite hot.  Caught Old Faithful while it was cold, and it put on a really good show with the steam, and the eruption was quite long.  It seems that it erupts longer in the morning when it is cold, and as the day gets warmer, the eruptions are shorter, and not as spectacular.  After breakfast (a bagel and hot chocolate), set out for Firehole Lake Drive and the geysers along the way.  Took quite a bit of time there, saw a couple of eruptions, and drove up to Madison, where, unfortunately, there were no Elk to be had.  There was a Bison along the road to Madison along the Firehole River, but he was right off the road, and everyone coming south was stopping, so there was no place to park.  Turned around in Madison and headed back south to the Firehold Canyon Drive where I stopped quite frequently, even getting some pictures of swimmers in the swimming hole.  By the sounds and shreaks....I assume the water was cold.  Drove Fountain Flat Drive, then to Fountain Paint Pot, and Midway Geyser.  In order to get an overhead view of Grand Prismatic Spring, you have to take a half-assed trail  up a hill (OK, let's be truthful....it's a small mountain) to get a complete view.  You guys will have to research what it looks like from overhead.....I was NOT going to make that climb.  Then to Black Sand Basin, and back to the motel.  I finally got supper about 4:00 p.m., downloaded my pictures, and am sending out this blog, and checking e-mail.  It appears that I have a couple particles on my camera sensor that necessitates me taking a spot out of a lot of pictures.  I did the cleaning mode thing last night, and can see the little offenders on the sensor, but didn't bring my sensor cleaner.  I am debating whether to take a q-tip and gently try to remove them, or just leave them be until I am home and clean the sensor then.....  Anyway, tomorrow I am moving up the road to the Canyon section of Yellowstone. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice shots. That little "half assed trail" isn't as bad as it looks. It gives a great view for a short climb. I'm 65 with a bad [polio] leg and i've climbed it many times. We had kids run past us as we were climbing it. That ticks you off. We have never seen anyone actually swimming in the swimming hole. Of course we go in May & October so it has snowed usually by the time we get there. Cool area though. I heard that the road from Norris to Canyon was closed because of a fire. bummer. Makes for along drive. It's a pretty boring road anyway. sorry to hear no elk on the Madison. Usually a hot spot. Swans too near the bridge and an Eagles nest near the bridge.Canyon is nice. a lot of things to see. Should be able to shoot the fire from there too. I prefer the Old Faithful & Norris Section myself. Love the drive from Norris to Mammoth. Mammoth is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You told me that you hiked the Fairy Falls trail. The trail I am talking about is across the road from the parking lot at Midway.....that IS a small mountain. Next time I come to Yellowstone, I will try the Fairy Falls trail.

      Delete