Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Finally Made it to Yellowstone - Day 6 of Trip














Started out at about 7:00 a.m. and drove to Jackson Lake Inn - Thanks Gary - had a great breakfast and the Willow Flats view was absolutely amazing.....  Then on into Yellowstone, through construction that hampered the flow of traffic some.  Stopped at West Thumb Geyser Basin and took lots of pictures.  There was a cow Elk that was roaming around and the Ranger had to keep people from going up the boardwalk to let the Elk pass.   Then on to Old Faithful where I finally found my way throught "spaghetti corners" to my Lodge and found my cabin.  Quite comfortable.  Hiked the upper Geyser Basin, taking more pictures, saw Old Faithful erupt a couple of times, had dinner, and am posting my blog.  Had to walk to another Lodge to get internet access (have to pay for it though), and there are no lights along any of the sidewalks, so am glad that I brought my flashlight.  Saw  a coyote today, several elk, a juvenile bald eagle, chipmunks, and squirrels.  In answer to the questions from those of you who have not been here, YES, the colors are this vivid in the pools and runoffs.  Pictures are heading out of Teton, and then West Thumb Basin, and finally Old Faithful area.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Looks like a great day. I love the area around Old Faithful. My favorite Geyser is "Grotto". It is beautiful. Next is Morning Glory Pool.They are both along the paved sidewalk. Morning glory is quite a ways out but worth it. You need a 17 MM or better to get the entire pool in the shot. It is beautiful though. Grotto when it is erupting, which is quite often is really great to shoot. Where did you get the WiFi? Snow Lodge? I didn't know you had to pay if you were a guest. That's kind of cheesy. Quite a fey coyotes [aka Song Dogs] hang out around the Snow Lodge Cabins. The little hike up the hill behind Old Faithful is pretty cool. Short hike and not very strenuous and you get some good shots of the entire complex. You do not have to backtrack down because it loops around back down to the boardwalk. Try the grill for Lunch at the Snow Lodge. Not as expensive as the main restaurant and pretty good. The grill at the General Store below the Old Faithful Inn is pretty good too. Get a dish of Huckleberry Ice Cream at the Ice Cream Shop in Old Faithful Inn and set out on the deck and enjoy. Love that place. Sometimes there is a really nice lady that plays a violin on the balcony in Old Faithful Inn. She is great to photograph and she is really nice. The intricate work inside the Inn on the railings and logs is really cool. I am 47 days out before I leave and I am really enjoying your blog. One of the great places to get a shot when you go to Midway Geyser Basin is along the Fairy Falls Trail.I think you go in at Biscuit Basin. You cross a metal bidge and go about 1/4 mile. On your left you will see a little path that goes up the side of the hill. It looks tough but it isn't. You don't have to go up very far. You can get a great view from above Grand Prismatic. Trust me, it is worth the climb. The colors will blow you away. You can shoot all of Midway from up there. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary - I didn't get your message about Grand Pris until tonight. There is a "hill" across from Midway that people were climbing. I saw the Fairy Falls parking lot, but didn't see any falls, so kept on going...oh well, this gives me something to come back for.

      Delete