Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Inspiration Point and a Bison Jam

Sunrise on the Tetons
 



The stream below Hidden Falls
Aspens and Mt. Owen
 






 



Day 4 started early again, with a stop at my favorite place for sustenance..McDonalds, then a drive to the Jenny Lake Visitor Center where I got my "token" for the Ranger led hike to Inspiration Point.  We took a ferry across Jenny Lake where the trailhead for Inspiraton Point began.  We hiked a ways up, then stopped for a lecture on geology, then on to the next stop for a lecture on trees and animals, then on to Hidden Falls, and finally Inspiration Point.  It was a hard hike for me, going from 6,000 to 7,200 feet over rocky ground, but my hiking poles worked well, and I took my time in getting there.  The aspens in the upper regions of the hike had started to change color and were absolutely beautiful against the blue sky and the mountains that still had pockets of snow on them.  I took my time coming down and took the ferry back across the lake.  Other people on the hike went on into Cascade Canyon, or took the 5 mile hike around the north end of the lake, or the 2.5 mile hike around the south end of the lake.  I "wimped out".  Headed to Signal Mountain where I drove to the top for the view east and south.  There was a lot of smoke to the east, and I found out later that there were fires burning in the Bridger-Teton National Forest.  Some of those were contained, but some were not, and they were putting up a huge billow of smoke.  Then I headed to Signal Mountain Lodge for something to eat.  A person on my photography website suggested that the nachos there were great - Gary - after ordering the 1/2 portion of them - I am almost afraid to go to the "Bunnery" that you suggested!!!!!!  Signal Mountain Lodge is right on Jackson Lake, and the view from my table outside was magnificent.  There were swallows nesting in the eves of the Lodge, and I watched the parents feeding their older offspring, while having some still in the nest that they were also feeding.  After lunch I headed back to Jackson by way of the Oxbow bend on the Snake River where I got some good shots, then on to Antelope Flats Road where I wanted to photograph the Moulton barn.  As I headed up Antelope Flats Road, I noticed a herd of bison in the field, a bit closer than the last time we saw them on my guided tour.  I took out my 300mm lens, and got some closer shots than the last time, but still not very close.....little did I know how close I was going to get to them.  Spent a lot of time at the Moulton Barn walking around and taking all sorts of pictures, and debating whether I wanted to wait around until sunset.  I noticed that the bison were moving closer to the road, and there were cars stopped where they were, so drove down the road a bit.  The bison were grazing, and moving towards the road, snorting, lowing, and making all sorts of sounds.  There were calves with the cows, and I noticed several that were smaller and lighter in color than the rest.  I learned later from a Park Law Enforcement Officer that some of the cows had given birth later than normal, and those calves were the lighter, smaller ones, that may not make it through the winter.  It appears that the bison migrate down to Jackson with the Elk in the winter and use the Elk Refuge to escape the harshness "up top."  Anyway, the bison began crossing the road, and one big bull stood right in the middle of the road and would not move.  There was a car that wanted to get through, and the dummy inside got out and tried to "shoo" the bison out of the road.  Fortunately for the dummy, the bull just stood there, and then moved on at his own pace.  After I could get through the bison jam, I went to the first/last - depending on your traveling in or out of the Park, and waited for sunset.  There were a lot of clouds, and I figured that the smoke in Idaho, which had pretty much dissipated on this side, would make a wonderful sunset, and I was right.  There was a Park Ranger (law enforcement) that had pulled into the viewpoint where I was to do his paperwork, and he was the one I learned about the smoke and bison from.  Back to the motel, where I found that there was no internet service, that's why I am posting today.  Today is going to be an easy day - want to walk to the Fire Department to see if I can trade a patch with them, then there is the overlook at the Elk Refuge where there is a wetland occupied by a lot of waterfowl, including a flock of Canadian Geese that I heard this morning.  There is a nesting pair of swans that I hope to see as well.  Up the road from that is a wildlife art museum that looks interesting.  Then need to get organized to leave in the morning for Yellowstone.  The weather here has been cool in the mornings - in the 30s and 40s, and warmer during the day - 70s.  It is very dry, and you need to keep chapstick on your lips, and hydrate all the time.  Plan to head out early tomorrow for the drive to Yellowstone which is between 50 and 60 miles. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Looks like you had a full day. We really like signal Mountain Lodge. Nice people. You can't go wrong with the Bunnery. Try lunch or snack @ Jackson Lake Lodge. It is on your way to Yellowstone. they have a little snack bar that is pretty good. Sip Hot Chocolate on the rear deck overlooking Willow Flats and Tetons. good place for Moose. Where are you staying in Yellowstone? Glad to hear it is cool in the morning. they will get snow soon and that will put an end to the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stsying 2 nights at the cabins around Old Faithful, then 2 nights in Canyon, then 2 nights in Mammoth Hot Springs. Leaving real early tomorrow, will see where Jackson Lake Lodge is on the map....might be a perfect stop for coffee or, as you suggested, hot chocolate....by the way...the Bunnery is absolutely out of this world.

      Delete
  2. What an incredible day you had and such really great pictures! Since you've progressed to a blog with photos, next we'll be enjoying video (hint,hint). I would have loved a video of the one driver trying to "shoo" the male bison away.
    BTW, Fred and I are laughing about the "Canadian" geese. :o)
    And after the nachos recommendation, I'd listen to anything Gary recommends - half portion??? I guess we have to remember it's Wyoming and they don't do anything small there.
    Looking forward to more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No videos....carrying enough equipment now...sorry. Will be posting tonight of my last day in Jackson, then into the "black hole" of Yellowstone. I can purchase computer time at the main lodges, so will be able to at least keep up with the blog and e-mail.

      Delete